Friday, February 19, 2010

Church Signs

It's been a while since I've posted, sorry for that! I want to go to a "once a week" model. We'll see how determined I am!

There is a topic that I have been interested in for a while, which includes a local church here in Liberty County. Well, not the church so much as their sign. I suppose I could argue that the sign is a reflection of the church, but to be fair, I've never stepped inside of it.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the concept if church signs, let me briefly explain what I am talking about. Here is the Deep South, there is a church and sometimes multiple churches for every street corner. Also, there can be several churches all lined up on the same street. Most churches, and certainly the traditional ones, have a marquee out front that has a "catchy" phrase that is intended to touch the hearts of the drivers passing by, enticing them toward inner reflection, and even a Sunday morning visit.

I have seen some catchy and even humorous slogans on church signs. My favorite is "God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts." Every time I think of that one I can't help but chuckle.

The one local church I mentioned earlier always has a slogan that gets my attention. Examples are: "You can worship God at the beach, but will you?" This is, of course, scolding people who would rather hit the beach on Sunday morning instead of church. "On judgement day, atheists will learn that there is a God." This being a clear warning to atheists about judgement day. And my personal favorite, "Sleeping saints serve Satan" to which I always follow up with a loud, "sssssssssssss". As a matter of fact, I never read that church's sign without making a loud "hissing" sound after wards. I've been a Christian almost my whole life, and I have no desire whatsoever to darken the door of that church. I shudder to think what the lost think as they drive by.

I have some suggestions for more appropriate and loving church signs: "Atheists, welcome! Please come in and receive a free copy of The Reason for God by Timothy Keller." "Are you hungry? Please come take advantage of our food pantry." "Are you in emotional distress, and wonder if there is more to this life? Please come in, we have all the time you need to address your questions."

But with all the hoop-lah about signs, I stand firm on one principle. If the church wants to reach people, signs are not needed. Feet are. Feet that will go into the highways and byways, taking the Truth with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment