Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Back at Work

Yesterday was my first day back to work at Lawson Design Firm (LDF). My position is the same as it was before. I am the person in charge of finding interested clientele, the first stage in marketing. The job is actually perfect for me. I love to talk to people, and I USUALLY don't take the opinions of strangers personally.
I haven't done any work for LDF since October. LDF was doing very well, and so we hired someone to take my place. Well, that didn't really work out, so I'm back on the job. Turns out that not everybody is okay with cold-calling. Go figure.
We decided that all three of us Lawsons would go out on marketing days together. That way, if I found someone who is interested in our services, Nathan can go follow up that same afternoon. That system works VERY well for us. I go meet the people, and then Nathan follows up and closes the deal. We head out at 10 so Sony can take her morning nap on the way into town, and leave town at 3, just in time for her afternoon nap. Since our daughter sleeps well in the car, this works out fabulously. During the time that I am meeting potential clientele, Nathan takes Sony to play in the mall. It makes for a happy day for all of us!
So anyway, yesterday I was so grumpy! I was flodded with such selfish thoughts as, "why do I have to help Nathan? This is HIS business", "I already work full-time, why do I have to do more" and on and on. I dropped Nathan and Sony off at the mall and drove to a business complex, grumping my whole way there.
I got out and walked around, taking an initial survey of the place. I got in my car and prayed, confessing my negativity and selfishness, and asking for Him to lift me out of my pit.
And you know what? I didn't hear God say anything. I didn't find myself washed over with some great revelation. But I tell you what DID happen. I got out of the car and went to WORK.
Through the course of my usual one hour of marketing, I visited six businesses. Everyone was cordial (which is not always the case!) but no one seemed all that interested. Except for one.
I accidentally took a wrong turn, which is not uncommon for me. Actually, when I was in college, I had a Japanese friend who liked going places with me because it was "always an adventure" and she got to "see so much." But I digress.
I took the wrong turn, but just went with it. I figured that no matter which way I turned, I'd find a business that I could go in to. As I suspected, I saw a shop and pulled in.
I introduced myself to the lady and asked her if she was interested in hearing more about LDF. She said, "Oh yes!" and explained to me that she had been charged by her boss to build a website, something she had no experience with. She asked me to come back with Nathan, which of course I did.
The lady talked with Nathan for quite some time. They discussed how that business had hired a web designer a few years ago, who took half of the money for the project, then went out of business. The shop was out $2,500 and did not have a website to show for it. Yikes. To tell you the truth, we hear stories like that a lot in our business.
We explained to her how we run our business, and "Holly" was impressed by that and wanted to see work samples. Nathan obliged, and they discussed Holly's needs in detail. She told Nathan it was a "God-send" that I walked in today, since she is supposed to meet with her boss regarding the website today.
So, needless to say, I am excited to be a work again. It thrills me to see how my strengths plus Nathan's strengths are such a powerful team! Even if there had been no "Holly" yesterday, it would have still been refreshing to talk to GROWN UPS and help out the family business.
Later in the afternoon yesterday, I did think I heard the Spirit whisper a reminder to me...about wives being a suitable helper for husband. I pray that I am a VERY suitable helper!
Oh, and reader, please pray about the potential with Holly!

1 comment: