Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hypocrites

I have had several conversations lately with Christians who have stopped going to church and stopped living the Christian life. The reason for many of them leaving the church can be summed up in one word: hypocrites. Many have been burned by churches and churchy people. In the midst of their trials, many people are choosing to leave the church all together.
I can't say that I blame them. I mean, Nathan and I have been hurt deeply by people who choose to be religious yet refuse to seek a true relationship with the living God. We have struggled to even want to be in church, because we find it nearly impossible to trust people who go to church.
And take the current political climate in America as another example. Of course people are putting their trust in a system that is promising to take care of the poor and needy. I say, shame on the Church for not doing her job to take care of the widows and the orphans, to sell what they have to give to those in need, and to speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. If Christians had done what they were commanded to do, our society would not be looking for the government to solve societal problems. I can see why people want to trust the government. The Church has not proved trustworthy or loving.
But you know what? The triune God has never lied to me. He has never broken a promise, or left me stranded. He has never given me what I deserve (which is death) but has showered me in love. His people (including ME) may have failed and may still fail. But HE has never failed.
So as for me, I choose to obey Him. I will continue to fellowship with imperfect believers. I choose to love my enemies and pray for those who despitefully use me. I choose to forgive and let God heal me and move me forward. I choose to share whatever resources I have, and minister to others even when I don't feel like it. I choose God's Word over my emotions.
It is not EASY to obey, but I choose to trust God for the strength to do so.
Anything less than that makes ME a hypocrite.

3 comments:

  1. So true.... I grew up in a church that was split because of my father and a few other men that decided to listen to God's prompting and not adhere to the preacher's crazy request. Long story, but I don't think I will ever view church the same way as I did before. Ever since then I have been church hopping. Only to find one church that we felt at home at and guess what? It was closed down and we weren't told the whole truth to.... Church is a group of sinners, so, of course, the people will make mistakes and I choose to keep searching for another church home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are the church, you and I and other followers of Christ. So when we say the church has failed, we're really saying we've failed. I think the only way for us to cause a true revolution in our churches is by acting out God's commands in our individual lives. If that means we ourselves, as individuals and families, are helping the poor, the sick, the elderly, then I say, what are we doing? What have we done today? Yesterday? What will we do tomorrow?

    I think when we look at it this way, that word hypocrite hits a lot closer to home than just the building down the street... at least it does for me!!

    ReplyDelete